Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wool Shops in Italy - part two

I'd gone on holiday armed with a print off from the trip advisor forums about where to find wool shops in Florence and alongside our city map Peter and I managed to track down two of them.

Sadly the first one we got to was all closed up for their lunch break but I had a good peek in their window all the same! They seemed to have a lot of more upmarket fibres (mohair, alpaca etc) so it's probably a good idea that they were shut - I think I would have been very very tempted!


Not to be deterred, we carried on, map in hand to try and find Mirka Filati their web site - it was quite easy to find the location but not so easy to find the shop as it is all underground and only had one small-ish window!

 As you can see it isn't exactly obvious, but I think that's kind of part of its charm :)

 You have to go down the staircase to get into the shop properly - it was like going in to a cave full of magic and treasures!

 Like the wool shop in Venice they only seemed to carry Italian yarns - but look at the huge selection they had - there's no way you'd be able to fill a wool shop with solely Irish yarns, sadly.
An awful lot of the yarns seemed to be pure wool or be 50/50 blends with acrylics etc - the quality was SO good; I really could have left with 10 times the yarns I purchased but I had to be realistic about how much I could fit in our suitcase!

As you can see there was even more wool up behind the counter! The man had a loooong wooden stick and would carefully knock the wool off the shelf with the stick and then catch it :)


So this is my 'stash' from this lovely shop - it's all really really lovely! I started to make a baby jacket with the rainbow colours on the top row but it's come up too small (my lovely tight tension!) so I'm going to have to frog it and start over!

Doesn't it look pretty though? It's a 50/50 blend of wool and acrylic and was only €2.50 per 50g ball!




No comments:

Post a Comment